Friday, March 6, 2009

1...2...3...Birthdays!

In the event you are wondering, I am one lucky girl! I have this group of girl friends that money cannot buy. They are my everything. We've been through hell and high water together, and now we sit around a laugh about it with some punch. Our lives are in perpetual change, but one thing is constant...and that's is the bond between me and my best girls. There are several of them. Sometimes we get together on Wednesday nights for anything from trivia to spaghetti, sometimes we brunch, sometimes we retreat at the nail salon, but no matter what we never miss a beat. God smiled on me...especially in March.
=========
Casey



On March 4th, He gave me Casey. She was here a few years before I was born, and then she spent the first part of her life (two decades and then some) in the Pacific Northwest. Right when I needed her most, and she needed out of town we met at work. We both were slaves to the food service industry and met on the first day of our tenure at Bravo. She is beautiful inside and out and has an old soul. She has a big heart and an unhealthy relationship with guilt. If I had to describe her in two words, I'd choose "Cookie Monster!"

Happy Birthday Casey!
========

Allison




On March 8th, He Gave me Alli. According to all things Kodak, we've been kicking it since Royale (West Knox Daycare, now a veterinaryclinic) back in 1985. We didn't make our union official until 1994 and it was then that we went under a procedure and came out attached at the hip. You think I'm kidding. You know she's that person that all of the Hallmark cards were written about. We have relationship similar to those painted in country music love songs. In college we were separated by 6 hours of Interstates 40 and 26, and spent a lot of time on the phone. We would write one page of a paper that was due the next day and as a reward talk on the phone for an hour or so. Get motivated. Go to page two. After 4 years of undergrad separation anxiety, we picked up right where we left off. Like we never missed a beat.


She's about to have us a baby boy in July and I am one proud Auntie. She deserves nothing but the best! She makes up a percentage of my soul, and for that I am forever grateful. If I had to describe her two words, I'd choose "Number One".

Happy Birthday Alli!

========

Carrie Leigh



And then on March 15th, He gave me Miss Carrie Leigh. Truth be told, we'd probably have to go to our mothers to find out when we really started hanging out. It's safe to assume we were together most weekends and church days beginning in the very early 80's...like before snap bracelets and NKOTB. We had some life changing talks through undergrad, and then really rekindled our friendly romance at a music festival in 0h-five. Carrie is like a light house. Even when we were separated for a minute, I could always find her, and her me. You know the light house will lead home, and Carrie is always my something familiar. We have experienced a lot of loss together, and even more love. We went from being those barefoot children in the rain to the girls on the patio talking about them. She taught me the most important lesson in love I ever learned...believe and be satisfied. I can depend on Carrie to rock the "swoop" with me (side swept bangs) even if/when they go out of style. She'll meet me for a pork chop, and all I have to do is ask. We already have plans to clink ice cubes in a Cadillac when we retire at age 50. We'll talk about all the injustices and how we managed to get through. Carrie is the original Party Princess. If I had to describe her in two words, I'd choose "old faithful"

Happy Birthday Carrie!

========

========

So, I am fortunate to have so many friends, and most of them I've known my whole life. And then there are those girls I met in college...and it feels like I've known them my whole life. On the 12th I will celebrate the anniversary of the birth of my good friend Marie. We were roommates in undergrad, she lives in NC now. Soon we are going to spend a weekend on the Nantahala....and I can't wait for it! Marie, if you read this..."stone walls and steel bars...and you on my mind..."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I not only feel honored to be on your blog and to have you remember my birthday (better than most of my friends from high school, and my brother), but more importantly I feel honored to have you in my life as a permanent fixture.