Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Listless

So, I'm not gonna lie. I've "owned" this URL for a blog for a while. I just never started it. I mean most of my friends out here in the blogosphere have small families or crazy cool travels...I have neither. But, I do always have a lot to say...so why not?!

I finally figured out how to make my blog look this cute (thanks Kat, I followed your link to cutestblogontheblock.com) and then followed the other steps like "about me" and added a few pictures.

Then it was time to actually blog. I know that most of my blog entries will be rants, raves, some Doogie Howser, MD esque diary entries, andjust general updates. But I didn't have anything to say. I mean how do you start a blog? What do you say for your first entry?

I really wanted to fuss about Rachael Ray's wardrobe and how she always dresses in a way that is so unflattering, but I didn't want her to own my first entry, so I'm going to let it go. For now.

Then I'm driving home from dinner on Friday night. All of a sudden on the radio..."alone...listless...breakfast table in an otherwise empty room..." You all know Pearl Jam (I say that like I know who you are and assume that you are reading)...anyway, what does that mean?! In the past I've gone as far as to google it. I found something about pension schemes and government funded welfare programs. I don't trust that information. I think it was written by a very confused undergrad dreaming of a career in journalism.

Nonetheless, I'm puzzled. Eddie Vedder, among others, wrote it. This is what he says about the song in general:

The child in that song obviously has a learning difficulty. And it's only in the last few years that they've actually been able to diagnose these learning disabilities that before were looked at as misbehaviour, as just outright fucking rebelliousness. But no one knew what it was. And these kids, because they seemed unable or reluctant to learn, they'd end up getting the shit beaten outta them. The song ends, you know, with this idea of the shades going down--so that the neighbours can't see what happens next. What hurts about shit like that is that it ends up defining peoples' lives. They have to live with that abuse for the rest of their lives. Good, creative people are just fucking destroyed.

Clearly he feels strongly about the song to use such profanity!

Anyway, I don't feel resolved. Maybe I am a breakfast table in an otherwise empty room?

1 comment:

Kat said...

Yay! I love it! Thanks for joining us bloggers. It's addicting...watch out! It's sad when something happens and you start to think, "This will be a great blog!" Or, maybe...that's just me...the freak! Alright, can't wait to read some fun rants and raves!